Facebook Insights, the free metrics dashboard and analytics tool for Facebook Pages, provides Page administrators with visibility into how their posts and content are engaging fans.
Insights will allow you to:
- Track and analyze new and lifetime Likes for your Page
- Monitor your Page’s active users
- Measure your Page’s engagement and viral reach
- View the user demographics for your Page, including gender, age and location
- See which Page Posts receive the most engagement
- Gauge the numbers of users unsubscribing from your Page (and take appropriate action)
By analyzing this data, Page administrators are better equipped to modify their content and updates to meet the wants and expectations of their audience, dramatically improving their relationship with fans and their business through Facebook.
Here’s a closer look at what Insights currently offers.
Accessing Facebook Insights
To see the Facebook Insights for your Page, either:
- Visit the Insights Dashboard and select your Facebook Page
- Load up your Facebook Page and click on the Insights module on the admin panel.
The Insights Dashboard
The Insights dashboard is made up of four measurements:
- Total Likes – If it is increasing or decreasing
- Friends of Fans – the potential number of people you can reach
- People Talking About This – the number of users actively talking about the page
- Weekly Total Reach – the amount of people you reach in this particular week
Below this graph is a list of your posts and their virality. This is a helpful tool in determining which posts are most successful. You can also sort posts by type. This is helpful in trying to find a specific post like a video or a link.
Each post includes a date, the reach, how many people engaged with that particular post, and how many people were talking about this post.
If you click Likes at the top of the graph, you will see the demographics as well as locations of your fans.
This is arguably the most valuable area within the Insights tool as it provides admins with very specific data about the people who are fans of their Page, including:
- Age (defined in seven groups: 13-17, 18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, and 65+)
This graph allows you to see the fluctuation of new Likes as well as Unlikes. This is a useful tool to see which posts are succeeding in generating new Likes or what pushes people to unlike the page. The right column goes into detail with the source of new Likes. This is helpful in understanding how people are engaging with the content present on your page.
The reach section helps you see your page views and unique visitor views. It also provides information about the demographic of your reach. This is a helpful tool in deciding what things to post in order to cater to the audience.
Talking About This
The Talking About This section provides data about who is talking about your page – this includes both demographics and percentages of people in different age groups.
While Facebook’s Insights tool has tremendous value, it does come with some limitations:
- Insights are only provided to Pages who have more than 30 users that like that Page (Insights will automatically start to appear once this level is reached)
- Daily, weekly and monthly Insights data is aggregated according to PDT (Pacific Daylight Time)
- Location data is based on the geographic location of each user as determined by their browser IP address, and is limited to the top 20 countries and cities
- The data that is accessed through Insights is delayed by a maximum of 48 hours
Marketers familiar with Google Analytics should not expect the same level of metrics and data within the Insights feature. Those looking for a more feature-rich approach to Facebook Page analytics should consider the services of companies like PageLever and Wildfire.